Livermore History - Flagpole
|Previous Page||Main Flagpole Page on our general photos page
Flagpole Removal, Oct 7, 2004
Flagpole Removal 2, Oct 7, 2004
New Flagpole - June 17, 2005
New Pole being Assembled - June 17, 2005
The Flagpole is Raised - June 17, 2005
Dedication (1) - July 4, 2005 - the ceremony
Dedication (2) - July 4, 2005 - raising the flag
Dedication (3) - July 4, 2005 - people
Dedication (4) - July 4, 2005 - the flag
100th anniversary of the flagpole(1) - Sept 9, 2005
100th anniversary of the flagpole(2) - Sept 9, 2005
Historical Page 1:
Dedication, other events, and history
The Flagpole has been a landmark in Livermore since 1905. It is well placed, appearing right in the middle of 1st St. It was moved to its current location in 1959, originally being about 15 or 20 feet further north.
History of the Flagpole below
on page 1
See also our other Flagpole page, with pictures of the plaque.
Looking south east across 1st St, onto Livermore Ave, with the flagpole on the left.
The event is believed to be a Portuguese Holy Ghost festival in May 1911. A crown is being put on the person in white at the center of the stage..
The Ryan Brothers Livermore Livery Stable (more photos) can be seen on Railroad Ave. The Masonic building, built in 1909 is on the right.
Lizzy Oliver's house is tot he south of Ryan's Stable.
The start of the 1911 motorcycle race. Looking west from around the south end of the Livermore Hotel.
Additional photos, and a description of the Napa Motorcycle Club's trip, Click Here
The Flag at Half Mast
Flag Half Mast following assassination of President Kennedy November, 1963. The flagpole is at its current location.
Looking east on 1st St on a windy day in June, 2002. The current location puts the flagpole such that it appears to be in the middle of the road when driving east.
Taken September 11, 2002 from Livermore Ave looking south.
Taken February 1, 2003, the day of the Columbia Accident.
The three color photos on this page are by eLivermore.com.
contains 128 pages of Livermore Historical photos and commentary.
It is available for 19.99 plus tax at the
Livermore Heritage Guild History Center at the Carnegie Building.
Click here for more information
|About These Photos|