eLivermore.com - By Bill Nale

 

Livermore History - Schenone Building

Back to: Home Page  -  Main Photos Page  -  Historical Photos Main Page

   


More Theatres and Halls pages

   
Previous Page   McLeod Building: Where the Bank of Italy building is now.
Sweeney Opera House: Was on the SW corner of 1st and McLeod
Independence Hall: On the SE corner of 1st and McLeod
Independence Hall, page 2 - Firehouse, resent photos
Masonic Hall:  SW corner of 1st & Livermore.
Schenone Building:  South side of 1st near Livermore.
Others:  McVicar's Hall, Forrster's Hall
See Also: Downtown - Businesses
 

Next Page

Schenone Building

The Schenone building opened in June of 1914, 5 years after the Masonic Hall.  The center portion was the entrance to the theatre, which was built directly behind it.  The tickets were purchased at the front of the Schenone building, then a hallway led back to the theatre, the screen being at the wall at 2nd St.  The theatre is now the Theatre Mall on 2nd St.

Originally opened as the Bell Theatre, it has several names:
Bell Theatre (1913 to 1923)
Livermore Theatre (1923-1929)
California Theatre (1929-1931)
State Theatre (1931-1958)
All photos show the Bell and State names.

Other portions of the building has contained various businesses.  Croce's Cafe was in the right side for quite a while, followed by Club 1079 and now the Livermore Saloon.  The left side has had a candy store, Cheerio's Gifts & Cards, and just opened as Quiznos.

Additional photos of the Schenone building are throughout these pages, and especially on Downtown Page 3.


Rodeo decorations in 1931.
Croce's Restaurant is on the right side.
"Lily Da?mita  This is the Night"
"Now Playing Chas Ruggles"
 

 


Schenone Building around 1914, when it opened.  This is a cropped version of the photo on the Masonic Building page

"Ice Cream & Candies" (left)
"Bell Theatre" (center)
"Croce's Fashion Restaurant" (right)


Masonic Building & State Theater - Square flooded. 2/11/38. 1.35 inches in 24 hours



Schenone building after a 2002 remodel.  Photo taken March 22, 2003 by eLivermore.com, shortly after Quiznos opened.

Next Page

Photo of Early Livermore Cover Page The Book
Early Livermore
contains 128 pages of Livermore Historical photos and commentary.
It is available for 19.99 plus tax at the
Livermore Heritage Guild History Center at the Carnegie Building.
Click here for more information

About These Photos  

Web Page Copyright 2003 eLivermore.com