eLivermore.com - By Bill Nale

 

Views From the Ace Train

Drawbridge & Ghost Marina

Back to: Home Page  -  Main Photos Page  -  ACE photos main page

 
<--- Previous (East) Next (West) --->
The Trains Niles Canyon
Altamont Pass Fremont
Livermore Salt Factory
Pleasanton Drawbridge & Alviso Marina
Niles Canyon Railway Views of the Bay

Drawbridge is located on a small piece of marshy land in the bay about 3 miles north of Alviso.  It was originally called Station Island.  When the train tracks were put in around 1880 there were two drawbridges, operated by a person stationed on the island.  It later became popular for hunting and fishing, and eventually had permanent residents, and became known as a lawless town.  It is now abandoned.  Tours were given, but have been discontinued.  It is now part of the San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge.

When the Ace Train gets to Alviso, you see boats that appear to just be sitting in the mud with nowhere to go.  What is this?  Do they get out at high tide?  This is the "Ghost Marina" at Alviso.  It was built in 1965, and closed in the late 70s when dredging stopped.  Near the Marina is the Alviso Slough, which is active.  Some of the pictures below are of boats that presumably are still used.

Links:
Bay Area Backroads - Drawbridge
Ghosttown.info - Drawbridge.  Description and 7 photos
Amtrak Train going by Drawbridge.  From Railsaroundthebay.net
Photos of Drawbridge and Alviso Marina  Lots of pictures, but they load slowly.
Drawbridge Arial Picture
Ghosttowns.com - Drawbridge
Drawbridge Pictures.  5 photos
Drawbridge. SJ Underbelly.  Detailed description and pictures.
Ghost Marina of Alviso.  SJ Underbelly.  Detailed description and pictures.
Alviso Marina & Slough. Photos and descriptions
Bay Area Backroads - Alviso


Remains of the shacks at Drawbridge



Looking northwest to more shacks


Alviso
 


Alviso Slough
 

Next

Ace train icons by Don's Depot.

 


About These Photos  

Web Page Copyright 2002 eLivermore.com